Grad Reqs

Credit Recovery Options:  With a traditional 1st-6th period schedule, students have an opportunity to earn 30 credits per semester; 60 credits in a school year.  If your student is behind on credits and needs to make up courses, you can choose one or more of the following options:


  1. Adult Education
  2. Online Education Program through a private company
  3. Lee V. Pollard High School
  4. CNUSD Summer School
  5. Alternative Summer School Options
  6. Gateway to College & Career at RCC
  7. California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE)
  8. Job Corps 

** Please see your counselor before selecting an option


Adult Education:  If you need to earn additional credits towards graduation, or fail a required class first semester of your senior year, Adult Education may be an option for you.  Adult Education offers 4 quarter long sessions.  Students may register in August, October, January and March. Courses are offered on a first come first served, space available basis.


To sign up for an Adult Education course:

  1. See your counselor for an Adult Education referral form
  2. Call Adult Education at (951) 736-3325 to set up an appointment
  3. Attend scheduled appointment at the Adult Ed Main campus at 300 S. Buena Vista Ave.

 For specific registration and start dates, please call Adult Education at (951) 736-3325 or visit their website

Lee V. Pollard High School:This is a credit recovery high school. This option is for students who currently have good attendance and behavior but are behind on credits in order to graduate on time. In addition to the regular class option, students may be eligible for an accelerated learning program or independent study. If you are interested in this option for graduation, contact your counselor for the application. You can also visit their website for additional information

Online Education:  Current Board Policy 6522 indicates that CNUSD will grant credit for up to 40 credits of online instruction from a district approved, formally accredited college or private institution. Please see your counselor for an online course approval form and list of programs currently approved by CNUSD before you sign up for a program.


CNUSD Summer School – Santiago High School counselors begin enrolling students into CNUSD Summer School during student February/March academic advisement meetings for the upcoming school year.  If you student needs to attend summer school, he or she should return the summer school permission form to their Student Services Office right away.  Summer school is contingent upon funding availability.


Alternative Summer School Options – Please contact your student’s counselor regarding alternative summer school options.


** Please be aware that not all alternative and online classes meet NCAA
and UC/CSU A-G minimum eligibility requirements.


Additional Options for Earning a High School Diploma:


Gateway to College & Career at RCC Riverside

This program is for 16-20 year olds who have dropped out or are near dropping out of high school. With this program, students can earn a high school diploma while earning college credits for an associate degree, college transfer, and/or occupational certificate. This program offers activities including field trips, presentations, and academic planning for RCC’s different school-to-career pathways. For more information about this option, visit or call (951) 222-8934 or (951) 222-8931.


California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE)

Students can earn the legal equivalent of a high school diploma by earning a passing score on the CHSPE. This exam consists of two sections: English (Language Arts) and Mathematics. If both sections are passed, the California State Board of Education will award a Certificate of Proficiency. Minors who pass the CHSPE must also have verified parent/guardian permission to stop attending school. CHSPE administration dates are  October 19, 2013 and  March 22, 2014. Exam fee is $110 for regular registration and must be received by the appropriate deadline. Students are eligible to take the CHSPE exam if they are at least 16 years old or have been enrolled in the 10th grade for one academic year, or will complete one year of enrollment in the 10th grade at the end of the semester in which the exam is given. For more information about this option, visit or call (866) 342-4773.


Job Corps

Located in San Bernardino, Job Corps is a free education and training program that helps young people earn a high school diploma and learn a career. This program integrates the teaching of academic, vocational, employable skills, and social competencies through classroom and practical learning experiences. This program, which is sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor, offers hands-on training in more than 100 career technical areas (automotive, machine repair, construction, finance, business, health care, hospitality, information technology, manufacturing, and many more). Students must be at least 16 years old to be eligible to participate in this program. For more information, visit or call (909) 887-6305 or (800) 733-5627.

Back to the Top