CesarChavez Academy – 7th Grade Science
Course Objective: Students will explore living things -- their structures and the systems that
support them --
within the framework of the California State Seventh Grade Standards in
Course Requirements: You will need to have the following items in class every day:
· Textbook (provided in class)
· Pen & pencil
· Handheld manual pencil sharpener
· Colored pencils --- no markers please!
· Looseleaf Paper
· A 3 ring binder with a section dedicated just to Science
· School provided student planner
Vocabulary: Vocabulary is an important part of science. There will be quizzes on the words.
Classwork: 7th Grade science is a hands-on, activity based class with many classroom
activities and laboratory assignments.
Assessment: There will be vocabulary quizzes as well as tests, labs, and projects.
Binder: We will discuss the binder in class. Organization is an
important part of middle school and of science in general. A portion of the
student’s grade will be based on their binder.
Grading: I will be using the following grading scale for all assignments:
Classwork/Binder 90-99% A
Vocabulary Quizzes 80-89% B
Tests 70-79% C
Projects/Labs 60-69% D
Make-up Procedures: *All classwork can be made up with an excused absence.
* It is the responsibility of the student to determine the assignments missed during
*Absent work is due within one week from the day he or she is absent.Late Work: If the assignment is not turned in at the time collected, it will be considered late.Late work is accepted for partial credit, except in the case of an excused absence.Missing Work: Students are expected to complete ALL assignments. Any missing assignment will be a zero.
Tardies: School rules will be followed and enforced.
Class Rules & Behavior Expectations:
1. All directions must be followed; this is especially important in lab situations.
2. Keep hands, feet, & objects to yourself.
3. Be in assigned seats ready to learn when the bell rings; this includes having all necessary supplies
4. Talking is allowed only when working in groups or called upon.
5. NO cell phones should be out when you enter the room, They should be turned off or to silent mode
and should remain in your backpacks until you exit the room.
6. There are NO FOOD OR DRINKS ALLOWED IN CLASS, except water. During labs, no water is permitted.7. Please wait until I excuse you, regardless of whether the bell has rung.