California Regions Relief MapDear Parent,
Your child will study the state of California this year. The students’
first task is to make a relief map of their state out of salt and flour. Use page
20 in the social studies book. Your child may take home their book, but it
must come back each day .Their map needs to include:
--Name of state and title: California’s Four Regions
-- Names of the bordering states
--Name of the bordering ocean
--Name of the bordering country (Mexico)
--An eight point compass
--San Joaquin River
--San Francisco Bay
The map is due Sept. 19th.Here is a recipe for salt and flour dough.
1 Cup of flour 1/4 Cup of salt 1/3 Cup of water
1. Put the flour, salt, and water in a bowl.
2. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
3. When the dough is well mixed, press it between your fingers to get
out any lumps. If it is too crumbly, add a little more water. If it is too mushy,
add a little more flour.
4. Make the map on cardboard. A clean pizza box is good because
the lid protects the map. Sculpt it to have mountains like you see on page 4.
5. Paint the map to show the four regions of California like you see on
page 20. (you may choose other colors if you wish)
Ms. SarsIn the past, some students have used modeling clay. I do not know what kind orwhere they purchased it, but it is okay for your child to make the map out of another medium.