Major Michael H. Manney (Ret) is the Senior Aerospace Science Instructor and Department Chair for Santiago High School Air Force Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (JROTC) Unit CA-20065. His duties include leading, managing, and implementing the overall JROTC unit program according to national, state, and district standards. Leads other assigned instructors in promoting cadet intellectual, social, patriotic, character education, and physical growth. Responsible for managing and implementing the military service's national education curriculum and program requirements to include the preparation, planning, coordination, and supervision of all co-curricular service learning, special activities, or events (military ball, drill meets, honor guards, and other extra-curricular activities). Supervises property management and budget controls for the unit. Administers the automated cadet record system and reporting for military and district information.
Major Manney is originally from Rancho Cordova, CA., received his commission as a second lieutenant upon completing ROTC at California State University, Sacramento in 1989. Over his 23+ years of service, he served as an instructor, flight commander, wing chief of operational plans and programs, assistant director of operations. He is a master navigator with more than 3,100 hours in the C-130E/H, T-43, and T-37 aircraft.
1989 Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics, California State University, Sacramento, Sacramento, CA.
1997 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, AL.
2001 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2003 Masters of Business Administration in Military Management, Touro University International, Cypress, CA (Summa Cum Laude).
1. March 1990 - December 1990, student specialized undergraduate navigator training, Mather AFB, CA.
2. December 1990 - August 1991, navigator/assistant casual control officer, 451st Flying Training Squadron, 323rd Flying Training Wing, Mather AFB, CA.
3. September 1991 - November 1991, student, C-130 navigator training, 314th Airlift Wing, Little Rock AFB, AR.
4. December 1991 - July 1996, C-130E navigator, instructor navigator, 61st Airlift Squadron, 314th Airlift Wing, Little Rock AFB, CA.
5. July 1996 - January 1999, C-103E/H instructor navigator, assistant flight commander, 36th Airlift Squadron, 374th Airlift Wing, Yokota Air Base, Japan.
6. January 1999 - June 2001, Chief Wing Operations Plans, 374th Airlift Wing, Yokota Air Base, Japan.
7. June 2001 - December 2002, Deliberate Planner, 605th Air Operations Squadron, 5th Air Force, Yokota Air Base, Japan.
8. December 2002 - October 2005, Deputy Chief, Plans Division, 615th Air Mobility Operations Squadron, 15th Expeditionary Mobility Task Force, Travis AFB, CA.
9. October 2005 - October 2008, Flight Commander, Air Mobility Control Center, Assistant Director of Operations, 730th Air Mobility Squadron, Yokota Air Base, Japan.
10. October 2008 - May 2009, Deputy Chief, Current Operations, Mission Planning and Weapons, Headquarters Air Force Operational Test and Evaluation Center, Kirtland AFB, NM.
11. May 2009 - March 2010, Program Manager, Aircraft Systems, Headquarters Air Force Operational Test and Evaluation Center, Kirtland AFB, NM.
12. March 2010 - March 2011, Security Assistance Officer, NATO Training Mission - Afghanistan/ Combined Security Transition Command - Afghanistan, Kabul, Afghanistan.
13. March 2011 - June 2013, Senior Program Manager, Headquarters Air Force Operational Test and Evaluation Center, Kirtland AFB, NM.
14. Retired effective 1 September 2013