What steps do I need to take in order to apply for PUENTE?1. Complete online application here.2. Final date to submit the application is February 15th.3. Once applications are reviewed, student will be notified of an interview date.River Heights Interview Date: 2/22/2018; Ramirez Interview Date: 2/23/20186. Our PUENTE team will review all the information and send out acceptance letters by the end of February 2017.What is the Mission?
How will the PUENTE Team support the mission?We will have 3 different components, writing, counseling and mentoring/community leadership, to help support the mission.
- To increase the number of students who enroll in four-year colleges and universities, earn degrees, and return to the community as leaders and mentors for future generations.
- Obtain a better understanding of Literature and help them perfect their writing skills through their 9th and 10th grade English class
- Support an prepare our students in their goal of going to a 4 year university and teach students how to become leaders.
- Culture plays a huge part in the program; therefore, a range of literature from different cultures will be presented in the Language Arts class.
First Component – Teaching
- In 9th and 10th Grade, students will be placed in a Puente English Class with a Puente Teacher
- Students stay with the same Language Arts teacher for 9th and 10th grades. They participate in a standards-aligned and culturally inclusive language arts curriculum that accelerates their growth, literacy and prepares them for college-level reading and writing
- 11th and 12th grade students will be placed in an English class of their choice, but will remain in the PUENTE program
Second Component - Puente Counselor
- Counselor will be with students all 4 years
- Help support and guide students through high school and path to college
- Create an individual high school plan with you to help student succeed
- Inform assist students in the college application process as well as inform on the ways to help pay for college
- Help student and parents with any questions they might have
Third Component – Parents, Community, Leadership and Mentoring
What king of students are you looking for?Puente is looking for students who:
- What would you like to do in the future and who would you like to become? Puente helps you explore answers to these questions.
- A few of the ways we do this is by:
- Exploring concepts in mentoring and community leadership
- College & Cultural Field trips
- Career Panel and/or Community Guest Speakers
- Puente Club
- Exploring career options with you
- Helping you learn the value and benefits of contributing to the community through community/volunteer work
- Developing your leadership skills.
What are some of the benefits of being part of PUENTE?
- Want to go to college and will be the first in their family to go to college*
- Want to become a better writer
- Want help getting to college
- Believe that no dream is too big
- Want to be a part of something great
- Want to be an active Club Member
- Want to be a great leader and help others
- Currently have a 2.0 g.p.a.
- Want to be successful
PUENTE Project Benefits
PUENTE Project Benefits
Program runs through a required class, the Language Arts class. Teachers teaching this class have attended a Summer Training at UC Berkeley .
Students will have a PUENTE homeroom all for years.
Program focuses on strengthening reading and writing skills.
Students in the program will visit colleges in Northern and Southern California.
Program has a strong culture component and will be exposed to Latino/Multicultural literature.
Students will need to maintain a high GPA.
Program has a dedicated counselor. All PUENTE students will have the same counselor.
Students will need to take the PSAT test 9-11th grade.
Once a student is a PUENTE student he/she will not be removed from the program.
Students will be required to submit a writing portfolio compromised of college level writing.
Parent involvement is part of the program and strongly encouraged- team approach.
Program emphasizes culture through literature. Students will be exposed to a range of authors from different backgrounds.
50+ community service hours will be required.What steps do I need to take in order to apply for PUENTE?1. Complete online application here.2. Final date to submit the application is February 15th.3. Once applications are reviewed, student will be notified of an interview date.River Heights Interview Date: 2/22/2018; Ramirez Interview Date: 2/23/20186. Our PUENTE team will review all the information and send out acceptance letters by the end of February 2017.