IB Extended Essay with Mrs. Lum
The aims of the extended essay are to provide students with the opportunity to:
• pursue independent research on a focused topic
• develop research and communication skills
• develop the skills of creative and critical thinking
• engage in a systematic process of research appropriate to the subject
• experience the excitement of intellectual discovery.
In working on the extended essay, students are expected to:
1. plan and pursue a research project with intellectual initiative and insight
2. formulate a precise research question
3. gather and interpret material from sources appropriate to the research question
4. structure a reasoned argument in response to the research question on the basis of the material
5. present their extended essay in a format appropriate to the subject, acknowledging sources in one of
the established academic ways
6. use the terminology and language appropriate to the subject with skill and understanding
7. apply analytical and evaluative skills appropriate to the
All EE students should read pages 11-20 in the following EE Guide.
If your EE is in Physics, also read pages 114-121.
If your EE is in Biology, please read 34-42.
Please submit your question in the following manner:
You must submit a rough draft before Thanksgiving Break and your final draft before Winter Break of your senior year. All submissions will be on Turnitin.com