SANTIAGO HIGH SCHOOL
To Students, Parents and Guardians:
In this class, students will gain an understanding of their surrounding world through the study of various individuals, movements, and events. Studies and observations will draw comparisons to today’s complex world. Students will participate in various individual and group activities including: debates, discussions, historical role playing, critical thinking activities, position papers, journal writings, political cartoons and comics, historical posters, textbook assignments, and the refining of note taking and research skills.
Lessons and assignments in this class are aligned with the Social Science standards established by the state of California and the Corona-Norco Unified School District and are designed to reinforce the Expected School-wide Learning Results (ESLRS). We are currently working to align our curriculum to the new Common Core Standards.
US History 1-A Essential Learnings:
Students will analyze:
1. The Economic, Social, and Political causes of the American Revolution.
2. The fundamental ideas and specific provisions of the Constitution.
3. The major accomplishments and setbacks of the Progressives (including the roles of T. Roosevelt, Taft, and Wilson).
4. The European causes of WWI and reasons behind American entry into WWI.
5. The major political, social, economic, technological, and cultural developments of the 1920s.
· The course will facilitate the use of authors, music, art, media, outside resources, primary source materials, ect.
Homework: Students will be given daily homework assignments in addition to class work. Assignments will vary in length from one day to long-term projects. Make up work due to absence must be handed in at the beginning of the period the day after the student’s return to class. It is the student’s responsibility to locate any and all make up work after an absence. All class work & homework will be posted online on my teacher page which is attached to the SHS website. All absent work is due the meeting after the student’s return to class (multiple day absences will require an individual meeting with Mr. White). Whenever possible, however, try to get assignments before an absence. UNEXCUSED MAY ONLY BE COMPLETED DURING OFFICE HOURS AND WILL COUNT AS PARTIAL CREDIT.
BRING YOUR TEXTBOOK EVERY DAY!! Blue / Black ink pen, Highlighter pens, 3 ring binder with dividers, college ruled paper (lose leaf) Supplies Recommended: Colored pencils/markers, glue stick
Student Name: (please print) Parent or Guardian Name: (please print)
Student Signature: Parent or Guardian Signature: