If your child is going to miss school for ANY reason, please call the school office attendance line at 736-4616 and leave a message or send a note giving the name of your student, the reason for the absence and the day/date the student(s) will be absent. The attendance line is available 24 hours a day. This procedure will prevent unnecessary calls to the home as all absences must be verified by our office staff for State and District Compliance.
A pupil shall be excused from school when the absence is:
1. Due to his or her illness.
2. Due to quarantine under the direction of a county of city health officer.
3. For the purpose of having medical, dental, optometric, or chiropractic services rendered.
4. For the purpose of attending the funeral services of a member of his or her immediate family, so long as the absence is not more than one day if the service is conducted in California and not more than three days if the service is conducted outside California.
5. Due to illness or medical appointment during school hours of a child of whom the pupil is the custodial parent.
6. For justifiable, personal reasons, including, but not limited to, an appearance in court, attendance at a funeral services, observance of a holiday or ceremony of his or her religion, attendance at religious retreats, or attendance at an employment conference, when the pupil’s absence has been requested in writing by the parent or guardian and approved by the principal or a designated representative pursuant to uniform standards established by the governing board.
A pupil absent from school under this section shall be allowed to complete all assignments and tests missed during the absence that can be reasonably provided and, upon satisfactory completion within a reasonable period of time, shall be given full credit therefore, the teacher of any class from which a pupil is absent shall determine the tests and assignments shall be reasonably equivalent to, but not necessarily identical to, the tests and assignments that the pupil missed during the absence. (EC48200, EC48205)
REMINDER: It is the parent/guardian responsibility for reporting their child’s absence (s) to the school in a timely manner. You have 10 school days after your child has been absent to provide an explanation for the absences to the school. Absences not verified within 10 days will be recorded as unexcused/truancy absences.Parents, if you are planning to have your child/children out of school for 5 or more consecutive days, please speak with our attendance clerk, Rosalva Silva, as soon as possible to set up an Independent Study Contract. It is preferable to begin this process 2-3 weeks prior to them leaving.