Practicing Sight Words With Games
Once children have had the opportunity to study new sight words, games are a fun, hands on way to help strengthen their retention. These games are easy to create at home or at school and can be modified based on the particular sight words a child is learning at the time.
- Wordo—Played just like the game Bingo, but this version uses sight words instead of numbers on a grid card.
- Concentration—Sight word concentration cards can easily be made using index cards. Simply write each word on two cards, shuffle and lay face down to play.
- Word Searches—Create word searches featuring sight words or use one of the many available on the Internet.
- Go Fish—Go fish cards can easily be made using index cards. Simply write each word on two cards, shuffle and deal to play.
- Letter Magnet Spelling—To reinforce sight word spelling, provide the child with a set of letter magnets and a metal surface. Call out sight words and ask the child to use the magnets to spell the word.