How to Refer your Child or Student to the School Counselor
- Communicate your concerns to the teacher.
- Explain to the teacher that you would like school counseling services for your child.
- Then the teacher will fill it out an electronic referral form.
- That electronic referral form gets emailed to me immediately after submitted.
- Once I recieve the referral form, then I will bring the child into my office and conduct an intake.
- An intake is a list of questions that I ask the student to better understand them and allows me to understand their needs
6. I will overview the intake and decide whether counseling services are needed (Or in most serious/important cases, outside counseling will be more helpful)
I generally see students once a week for about 6-9 weeks
7. If I have decided the student could benefit from school based counseling, then I will send a parent/guardian permission slip form home to get signed and returned to me.
8. Once the parent/guardian permission slip is signed and returned to me, Ms. May the school counselor, then I can begin 6-9 weeks of school based counseling.
- Be aware that when your child or student is approved for school based counseling, they will be pulled out of class for about 30-40 minutes once a week.