NATIONAL HONOR SOCIETY
The purpose of this organization is to create enthusiasm for scholarship, to stimulate a desire to render service, to promote leadership, and to develop character in the students of secondary schools.Membership is based upon a student’s outstanding performance in the areas of:Scholarship, Service, Leadership, and Character.
NHS OfficersPresident: Maureen GuthormsenVice-President:Siri BandaruSecretary: Elizabeth WangTreasurer: Micha TattaoHistorian: Sharon LeeAdvisor: Mr. Vincent FloresMembership RequirementsTo be eligible for membership, the candidate must be a member of the freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior classes. Candidates must have been in attendance at the school the equivalent of one (1) semester.Scholarship:
- Candidate must have a minimum unweighted grade point average (GPA) of 3.2 if enrolled in at least one (1) Honors or Advanced Placement course.
- Candidate must have a minimum unweighted GPA of 3.5 if not enrolled in any Honors or Advanced Placement courses.
- Candidate must be on the A-G track by the start of their 12th grade year.
12th grade applicants: Must be on the A-G track
11th grade applicants: If not on the A-G track during time of application, candidate will have 2 semesters to get on track or membership will be dismissed
10th grade applicants: If not on the A-G track during time of application, candidate will have 4 semesters to get on track or membership will be dismissed
A current official transcript must be attached to the application.
- Candidate must complete 40 hours of community service within the year. No more than 15 of those hours can be earned from another club or organization.
- Candidate will complete one (1) service project per year. These projects shall have the following characteristics:
- Fulfill a need within the school or community
- Have the support of the administration and faculty
- Be appropriate and educationally defensible
- Be well planned, organized, and executed
- Be completed by the end of each membership year
- Candidate must hold or have held an officer position in a club, organization, or employment. Such positions may include, but are not limited to, team captain, club officers, class officers, a supervisory position at a job, or leader of a band section.
- Candidate must meet all the requirements (receive all high marks) on the CHARACTER, LEADERSHIP, AND SERVICE EVALUATION FORM
- Candidate may not have any negative citizenship marks (Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory) in final semester grades for two (2) semesters in a row.
Essay:In a 500-word essay (typed, double-spaced, 1-inch margins, 12-pt. size font, Times New Roman font), the candidate is to explain how they exemplify scholarship, service, leadership, and character. See application packet.Deadline for turning in completed application: 2015-2016 school year is September 19th in B-111To download application and required materials, pleace click on the following link: Please note, membership in now $30 changes to this on the application will be made ASAP.Any questions? Please do not hesitate to talk to Mrs. Lu in the B building upstairs in the Administration office.