Parents, this information is to help prepare your child
for a positive start to school.
Children entering kindergarten should know how to:
* Write their first name
* How to write letters holding a pencil
* Recognizes shapes (circle, square, triangle, rectangle)
* Recognizes numbers to 10 and can tell how many items there are up to 10
* Can name all the upper case letters of the alphabet (examples: H, D, V, etc.)
* Can say the sounds of each letter
* Listens to and follows directions given by parent
* Can use the restroom on their own
* Can tie their own shoes
* Use the words "please" and "thank you"
* Has learned some of the Sight Words"
Listed below are the sight word lists for kindergarten.
Your child can begin learning these words before kindergarten.
|List A ||List B ||List C ||List D ||List E |
|I ||me ||is ||said ||good |
|see ||to ||in ||he ||it |
|my ||am ||for ||that ||look |
|like ||go ||have ||she ||not |
|we ||be ||can ||as ||little |
|on ||you ||this ||of ||her |
|the ||with ||play ||no ||all |
|an ||by ||was ||but ||do |
|a ||at ||are ||up ||his |
|and ||him ||had ||yes ||they |
These are key words for your child to know and understand.
Each ties to math and will help your child if they understand the concept of each word.
|back ||bottom ||empty ||first ||low |
|front ||top ||full ||last ||high |
|above ||before ||up ||under ||on |
|below ||after ||down ||over ||off |
|more ||short ||beginning ||small ||close |
|less ||tall ||middle ||big ||far |
|same ||average ||end ||large ||larger than |
|different ||add ||equals ||less than || |